Saturday, August 13, 2011

Symbio is Love


Not that I don't like the things happening here, but I just have to kind of frown at the irony between what I once said and what had happened.

I made myself a promise. So decided.

No, I'm not joining any organizations in college. It's fine to be a barbarian, at least sometimes in a lifetime. It's okay to excuse yourself from the crowd.

Little did I know I wasn't really sure about what I said.

I thank God a bunch, and another bunch, and one more bunch, for the talents, skills, heaven-sent gifts He had entrusted to me. Forgive if I couldn't help but smile and feel proud. Amen to my birth! And lol to this. One day, a guy we shall call Nic, asked if I could spare him a few minutes for a quick talk, which I would later find out to have been scripted with the intention of persuading me to join this student organization with a not-so-long name, Symbiosis, The UPLB Biological Society. And I was like...

Yeah! How did you know I was supposed to shift course to BS Biology? But excuse me, I'm a Development Communication student, period.

But that was Nic, one of my big bros in college, so I listened, nodded, smiled. And then listened, nodded, smiled. And then nodded and smiled - a "yes" to his invitation to an orientation program.

So, by late afternoon of August 8, 2008, after class, I went to the venue. Feeling lost. Out of place. Awkwaaaaaard. But that was only at first. How suddenly grateful I was at the sight of familiar faces - DevCom people. "Good thang!"

And time ran fast. One moment I found myself quiet on a chair, and the next thing was I had to congratulate myself for being a new member of Symbiosis...and the new content manager of a web development team. Because a few days after my supposedly-quick talk with Nic, we talked again about wbt. Bravo! Bravo! Amen to my promise! And lol to it.

But now, I'd love to smile at such beautiful irony. Because I'm sure happy with the consequences of my unplanned membership to Symbiosis; happy with what I have become. At first, Symbio was like another school to me. And yes, a training ground for whatever purpose it may serve in the future. I learned a lot and I mean a lot. Though Symbio is an academic organization, I learned about things far bigger than schooling - things maybe even bigger than my bragging rights as a UP student.

Now on my extra semesters in college (as I call them so), things have changed, almost entirely different. I don't have my closest friends with me. I don't have DevCom 'batchmates' to say hi or hello to. I don't even have classmates. But one thing had always stayed the same: I'm far away from home.

But I'm never homeless. There's always a place I can call my home. The people here may not be of my blood, but I'd call them 'brods' and 'sisses', not for the sake of using Symbio's endearment terms; but I'd call them so as they are brothers and sisters to me.

To Symbiosis, The UPLB Biological Society; from Myles with lots of love! *frowns and big smiles*




No comments:

Post a Comment